Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

England (Nottingham, Manchester and Glossop)

Nottingham


A fat and short boy- Robin Hood

John at Sherwood Forest

Newstead Abber


Manchester


Science industry museum: making silk. Manchester used to be the world largest silk exporter.


Glosso

Snow in summer


Chatsworth House





Vase for tulips

Emperor Fountain

England (Nottingham, Manchester and Glossop)


Nottingham is famous for Robin Hood. I was disappointed that Robin Hood was just a fat and short boy. His status definitely did not link to Russell, the American actor. Nevertheless, I enjoyed Newstead Abbey and Sherwood Forest very much. Byron, the famous poet writer  had spent few years of his life here (not more an abbey but his home). Even though I despised his attitude to women, he was a good poet writer. John Burton was the best host I meet, I stayed in his cherry cottage for 8 days. He was a retired lawyer and I have asked many questions related to laws and free of change. I was disappointed to find out that John Grisham’s novels are ‘novels’, nothing to do with ‘true stories’. I thought John Grisham may exaggerate the stories based on his experiences or true stories.


Manchester is a city where public transportation services are good. It used to be a world class silk industry centre.

 

Glossop is a small village near Manchester. Quiet and peaceful. Good for hiking. I stayed with Helen, Les and Dean, just opposite the library. Our neighbour was Linda and her family. They bought the church and refurnished the interior to accommodate a family. In order to do this, they has lived in a caravan for couple of years.

  People that I met

John Burton: He retired early and spent seven years to look after his parents and they had passed away now. He suffered diabetes too. He is a gay but he treats surfers as VIP. He bought a hair dryer on a surfer request, he almost bold though. Toiletries always ready in case surfers need them; chocolate always ready, he never eaten though; I supposed to stay three days but end up with 7 days. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all were free. I just like a VIP in his home. He is not a Christian but got a kind heart. He drove me to sightseeing and picked me up from airport. I think he is the best host that I ever met. He has two dogs: Shadrach and Judie. Shadrach was the boss but he was dying. I am worry about John for this but its veterinarian will only make a decision whether to put it away after my leaving. I prayed that John not to suffer for its death. Judie was a dog which wore the skin of a dog. She was lazy, clean and scared of people.

Hellen Russel and Les
They picked up Dean who was former Hellen’s student from a bus station at a winter time. Hellen planned to give him a shelter for couple days but Dean stayed with them up till now (4years+). Glatio was the boyfriend of Hellen’s surfer. He came from Greece in order to find a job in United Kingdom and he surfed Hellen’s couch for around 8 months (from October 2012 to June 2013). Finally he found a job near London in July. They bought a trishaw for their trishaw driver in India; They set up a fund to buy a 6 hectares land in India after listening a stranger sharing on train in India. During a Christmas time, they hosted too many surfers and they stayed in hotel for four days since all of rooms were occupied.
They drove me to Chatsworh house, blue john cavern, paid the admission fee and bought me a lunch in farm restaurant. The biggest lesson that I learnt from them is to LOVE.
 
I also met quite a number of The Church of England, Manchester. They were all kinds!

No comments:

Post a Comment