Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Poland (Krakow & Warsaw) August 2013

Krakaw





Cracow Castle

Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp








Warsaw

Warsaw Stadium
Warsaw


Cracow was a great city. I love it very much because it was a story full of history. 15 August was a public holiday at Cracow, Catholic celebrated St. Mary Day.
I joined free Kazimierz walking tour and learnt many about Jews in Poland and Europe. Dumpling was the famous cuisine but it was too oily. Joanna told me that the fat was not olive oil and mostly from pork. I visited Schindler’s factory with Wolly. I was surprise that Schindler’s list and the Pianist were shooting in Cracow and Warsaw. The castle of Krakow also beautiful and it was free if you do not visit the museum.
Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp was the major tourist attraction and it was worth to pay a visit. If you arrived Auschwits before 10am, it was free without a tour guide and shuttle bus from or to Birkenua was free. I joined 1130am English tour, the tour guide lost his enthusiasm. He was very Iazy to explain and I really despised him. After the trip, I joined another group again to listen to the explanation of  Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration and it was great. The Bus service was poor. Many of us waited for one hour and the bus came late. The driver told us there was the last bus and wants us to took us taxi. We have waited one and half hours and we (13 of us)  walked 2 kilometers to catch a train. The ticket was cheaper only 9.50zt. The bus service in Polland was really poor: did not follow schedule, cancelled service without acknowledge; always full house and passengers had to squeeze.
Warsaw was beautiful but I prefer Krakow. Warsaw had been destroyed during war time and many heritage building were reconstructed according to the original architect. These kinds of reconstruction of heritages were very popular at Eastern and Southern Europe.  
People I met
Joanna has applied healthy lifestyle, she believed in acupuncture. Martina was her only daughter. She was independent, young though. Martin was Joanna’s friend; we had some short conservation at my arrival evening.
Ulrich was a German who I met at Kzimierz walking tour. He came to Cracow to join chess tournament. I believed he must be very clever. He bought me a lunch. hahah
David has lost his job due to economy crisis. Therefore, he decided to leave Krakow and went back to his hometown Radom while waiting for the latest news of his company. At the same time, he was going to attend his friends’ wedding. I was so excited to know the traditional Polish wedding. However, he told me that there was no more traditional wedding. The wedding party was just a modern and simple party.
MaƂgorzata Brzuchalska and her husband were very hospitality. We had dinner together at a Turkish restaurant and it was a good time to exchange culture. They used to work in US but her husband missed their hometown very much and decided to move back to have better life. Earning US dollar didn’t bring the quality of life and he just wanted to live in his lovely country. I was really touched by his patriotism.







No comments:

Post a Comment